
Last week I got my RCM theory exam results back (I wrote that one in December). I got an 87%, not as high as I expected. The test was easy, exactly like the practice ones I'd done, and I finished it quickly.
The marks were mostly deducted on the part-writing questions, especially for "wrong" doubling. It seems you always have to break one rule in order to avoid other problems like incorrect voice leading. Anyway, it gets pretty subjective, and I think the mark kind of depends on whether the grader sees that you doubled wrong in order to resolve properly or whatever. The RCM version is harder than the "normal" assignments we'd get in school. (They sometimes give you just the bass or soprano notes, with no chord symbols underneath, so you have to make up chords and progressions, and it's impossible to keep every little rule. Basically we learn lots of rules just to be able to break them all later. :))
I did best on the analysis part of the test (chords and form), no huge surprise. ;) Anyway, the marker still wrote "very good!" at the top. Too bad I didn't break 90% to get into the higher bracket. Oh well, it really doesn't matter at all. The next theory and history exams are more important. I need to decide if I'm going to do the grade 3 History in May.
That night I had dreamed about getting my grade 10 supplemental results back, that I got a 16. We'll see if that one comes true. I hope so! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment