Friday, December 22, 2006

My grandpa died today (Thursday), in Ontario. He was 87 years old.

I hadn't talked to my grandma in a while, and was meaning to phone her this week. My mom called me this morning to let me know my grandpa was doing quite poorly (he's been in a nursing home for a while now), so I decided to phone her this afternoon instead. He died a few hours later! My roommate phoned me at work tonight to let me know my grandma had phoned to tell me the news. I was very glad I had been able to talk to her earlier!

I'm thankful that my aunt just got there last night for Christmas holidays, and was able to see him before he died. Now she will be able to spend her Christmas much differently than planned, helping my grandma with funeral plans! Please pray for them as this will be hard, even though it was kind of expected for a while now. It's especially hard to make plans or arrangements at this time, so I don't know what they're going to do!

This is kind of hard for me as I've never been too sure of my grandpa's spiritual state. I didn't knew him super well, what with living so far away and not being nearby on furloughs either, and he didn't talk much. I pray sincerely that he made his peace with God before dying, because I really want to see him in heaven when I get there! He was never a man to share his feelings or express love very openly, so it's hard to tell from his life whether he really was born again or not. He did pray & do devotions with his wife every day, and go to church, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. Sadly, there were many issues in family relationships that have caused difficulties in his kids' lives until the present, and some doubt as to his heart's condition.

Please friends, pray for my grandma and the rest of the family as they grieve and try to plan. Pray also for an uncle who's had nothing to do with his parents for decades, that perhaps this would bring him to repentance and a relationship with both his mom and Christ!

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meus pesames, Esther.
Yes, I'll pray for your grandma, uncle and family.
Filipe

Carla said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Esther...