Friday, September 01, 2006

back to life in the hills

sorry everyone, it's been a while. I think I'm gonna give up on posting too many more pictures from Brazil, because I for sure can't document everything on here, plus I was so far behind anyway.... Maybe I'll put more on later as I have time and want to go back to my warm summer memories! :)

So, after a WONDERFUL summer, I'm back to Three Hills and living and working here. I flew from Belem on Aug. 15, traveled all day to Miami where I stayed in a hotel (thanks Mom & Dad! :)) and continued to Calgary the next day. Overall it was like 40 hours of traveling, because of the stopovers. Thankfully even though there was some confusion at first with my tickets, everything worked out and I didn't miss flights. Thanks for those that knew about it and were praying! I spent the night with Brazilian friends in Calgary, then spent 3 days with Julie before she left Olds to go study in another city. We got to go to the Torrington Gopher Hole Museum - that was so funny! I've always wanted to go there. One day I'll have to post pix from it. We even drove around finding all the gopher fire hydrants. Oh man, small-town life. How redneck can you get? :)

Since then I've been settling back into life here, with 2 roommates and a cute apartment. I'm glad to be back... I like this town that some people can't wait to get out of! I've seen some of my friends again but still have lots more to see! I'm excited. School starts on Tues. so people are getting back really soon!!! Yay! Anyway, we live rather far (in small town terms) from the stores and my job, so that's not so fun - especially when winter comes. Thankfully I have a bike. However, we may be moving again, which I DON'T look forward to because I had planned not to move again for a while, but which might be nice if we end up closer to town.

I started working this week full-time with a Christian organization that helps mentally-handicapped people. It's been really good, though somewhat trying at times, and I know I'll learn a lot from it - things that will be useful anywhere else too. I'll have to take First Aid and various other medical or dealing with confrontation courses... yikes. So far I've been having to learn and remember lots, but thankfully I haven't been too overwhelmed. Once I figure out what I'm doing for piano and theory students, I plan to move to part-time with them, since the musical stuff is what I really want to do. I may be able to get several students during the school day by teaching at school, which would be great, since it's close to me & since I need a place with a piano anyway!! It's awesome how God worked both of these jobs out - I didn't do anything! Hopefully I'll get some theory students from the college lined up soon. And for now I also plan to be accompanying for three voice recitals, but that only pays later on in the year. Maybe I'll get some more gigs that are just a one-time thing, like at a music festival or recital.

Ok, that's the general update. I did some fun things with friends last weekend, today, and hopefully Sunday I will too, but I'll try to update that once I can also post pictures of them! :))

Thanks for your prayers, friends. God has been good and faithful once again as I moved back, so I praise Him for that.

5 comments:

Andrew and Aimée said...

Nice update, Esther! Thanks so much and I'm sure Brazil misses you as much as you miss Brazil.

Love,
Aimee

Anonymous said...

That's awesome about the jobs, and such. I'm a little jealeous that you get to live in the hills, and I don't. Don't get me wrong I love Oakville, but now that I've come back everyone else is leaving. I would rather be in the hills with friends then here, where I have to make new friends. Oh how different it is from school. Well I think I've gone on for too long. Enjoy, HT.

CorrieAnne said...

Esther!
Have enjoyed catching up with you on here. You're a champion blogger! :) Thankful the Lord has provided you with a job. Keep walking with Him. He's so faithful.

So, when was it you and Julie said your making a trip South?! :)

Love in Christ.
Corrie

Carla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carla said...

It's too bad I didn't run into you when I was in 3 hills on Tuesday, Esther! It was a wirlwind tour, that's for sure - in and out and then back to Denver. :) I'm glad you had such a great summer in Brazil!