Monday, July 31, 2006

My 22nd birthday!

On June 24th we were finally able to go do some sightseeing! Yay! I was better, thankfully, so we were able to drive downtown to the famous Ver-o-Peso market, by the river (“see the weight”). There I bought a beautiful hammock to take back with me, and was snagged by lots of guys trying to sell shirts & stuff. Here’s the hammock – like the Brazil colors? :)

Michael & I were looking for Seleção shirts (Brazil’s team shirts) – we wanted fake ones, but not extremely fake-looking ones! The ones there in the market were cheap but really ugly. So we went to a sports store across the street & there were able to buy some good-looking shirts, without the massive price tag. I wanted to get #8, Kaká, but of course they had only 6, 7, 9, 10, and 23. Neither of us wanted 9 or 10 because Ronaldo & Ronaldinho are too overdone, so we ended up both getting 7, Adriano. Here’s a picture of the 2 of us wearing them for a game the next week, against Ghana.

Mmm, coconut water! It was so nice to have one again!

Then we walked through the rest of the market – it’s way nicer now than it used to be, because everything is covered & more organized. Of course it’s still dirty tho, & I would never buy meat there! There’s everything from vegetables to crafts (baskets, pottery, paintings) to meat to lunch stands. I love these open markets – so fun! And there’s a separate fish market (mostly freshwater fish because Belém is a port city at the mouth of the Amazon) but it REEKS, of course.

This blue building with the spires is the most famous building at the market - what you always see pictures of. The fish market is inside of it, with the other stores beside it. Going around the corner you come to a lot of fishing boats & beautiful old buildings such as these (built ages ago in the Portuguese style). Looks crowded, eh? They're all stores.


From there we drove to a place called the “Mangal das Garças,” which is also by the river. It’s kinda like a reserve for these stork-like birds - some white & some red.

(It’s fairly new, so I had never been here before & neither had my fam.) There’s a restaurant, gift shop, tower, butterfly place, and a beautiful big boardwalk out over the plants to the edge of the water (here, looking under the top one, but you can see another part at the side). It was a very hot day so it was wonderful being out there in the shade & breeze! (This shows the swampish area by the river - weird tree things there.) We ate there, but just a picnic lunch that we’d brought. Mom even brought a little cake & candles for me. Awww. :)

Cute turtle!


I couldn't forgo including these beyootiful pix that I took in the buttefly place at the Mangal - actually moth, butterfly, & hummingbird place. So sweet!!

Then we drove back to the old Fort, laden with canons from centuries ago when it protected Belém. They’ve fixed this up too, and I barely remember it. Anyway, it’s a sweet place for pictures of canons, of the river, of Ver-o-Peso (which is right close by). Most of the canons are on the grass outside, closest to the river,

and there are a few above it in the wall. Inside the fort it’s kinda empty except for a couple more canons – mostly it’s just a good photo place & it’s also fun to walk on the top of the wide wall.

(taken from the Fort, where you can see Ver-o-Peso.)


Beside the fort is this other building – the House of the 11 Windows – but we didn’t really have time to go inside it. We saw the outside & the little sitting area behind it, but apparently they’ve made it into a museum. I think it used to be a hospital or something like that.

whoa... it takes waaaaaaaaay too long to put all these pix on, but that's my favorite part of blogging - showing you the stuff I'm talking about! Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the photos. I hope the next two weeks goes well for you. Have an awesome time with your family. Have a safe trip back to the hills. Enjoy, HT.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Esther! Sounds like you are having a great time. Say hi to your family for me. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.
I've included my blog address for you. I'm not sure if your parents are aware of it, either.
Take care & have fun!

Cam said...

Esther, I love the Hammock! It is amazing! I like the colors too, they are a good color! And the pictures of the Market, and building are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Esther,

Happy Birthday, Looks like you have had a great trip you will have to tell me more.

Lots of Love,
Liz d

Carla said...

Hi Esther - you've got some gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing them! :) Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.