Cuiabá, in the state of Mato Grosso (lit. "thick bush"(forest)) was my 2nd stop. This city is in the interior of
The next picture is of a street in Cuiabá, nicely decorated in green & yellow for the World Cup (soccer games). More on that later….
I stayed here for 4 nights (May 22-26) and was able to see quite a few things & eat lots of yummy food that I hadn’t had yet. (We ate out 3 nights, which was fun and quite cheap in comparison.) I had pamonha (the corn paste wrapped in a husk that you see below), espetinhos (skewers with meat or cheese or chicken), pasteis, churros (oh, deep-fried goodness!), manioc… so YUMMY!!!
One day we went to the Indian training school that their mission has near Chapada (an hour away & up in the mountains). The first picture shows one of the buildings that they’re still working on & some staff houses. (Almost all of them here were made out of this orange brick.) The wooden building is the dining hall, where we ate lunch.
In the afternoon, my hosts had a meeting and I ended up hanging out with the kids for most of the time. Here you see Indian & American kids playing together in a big pile of dirt. :) (Don’t worry, “Indian” is what they’re called here; it’s not derogatory.)
This is a picture of me in an Indian headdress that my friends bought that day from a Caritiana lady (that's the name of her tribe). It’s made with macaw feathers – the bright blue ones are for sure a macaw's, and the smaller downy ones might be too. (I am told they bring their supplies in from the tribe when they come to school, and that they don't kill the birds to get the feathers. They "just" pluck all the feathers out and I guess leave them to walk around naked for a while, till the feathers grow back & they can fly again. Awwww....)
While were were at the school, we went for a quick trip to a nearby waterfall called "Véu de Noiva," or "Bride's Veil." It was super foggy that day, so we could hardly see it from the lookout point. Thankfully, there was a trail that went over the river and around to a spot close to the waterfall!! There we could see it really well. :D I took lots of pictures of it, but here's one. I love how green & mossy it was at the bottom. Supposedly you can walk behind it, but I think I would slip & fall as soon as I set foot on it. :P
This picture kind of shows how foggy it was. The red cliff is what all the mountains around here look like, but which I hardly got to see because of the fog. I love when there's white skeleton trees mixed in with all the green ones. It looks really cool. (Click on this to see it better.)
We went to one other lookout place, where on a clear day you can see all the way back to Cuiabá (an hour's drive)! Unfortunatetly, because of the fog we hardly saw anything - just tree-covered rolling hills right below us. We couldn't even see the ridge of cliffs beside us. Sadness. But that's how it is when you live up in the clouds! You also get lots of lightning bolts!Have a good weekend, everyone!







2 comments:
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun. I love the pictures and hearing about your adventures. I hope you are having a good weekend. Enjoy, HT.
i think that big headdress is funny colours or smth. its cool that its big, but somehow its not too pretty. joan e. liked the skeleton trees pic. we looked at your blog together (she'd already read it). she likes reading our blogs. well keep updating, ok kiko?
aquiestou
Post a Comment