The first few weeks in Belém I didn’t do much in terms of sight seeing. The 1st day I got to see quite a few ppl again who were around the school (teachers & students). A lot of the teachers are new, so I also met some of them. The next day I went to chapel, which was small & different, and that night was the
I was definitely not impressed with it. I had come back when I did in order to make it to grad, but it was lame compared to my grad and others I had remembered. The 2 graduating (that’s right, I said 2) were Brazilians, so their families got there late & it started late. But there was hardly anyone there! The place used to always get packed out for grad, and now it was just high schoolers & the graduands’ families who came, pretty much. Not even all the teachers or families of younger kids, like they used to.
(Here's a blurry pic of the two grads, and then me with Mike at grad. He makes me feel so short....)Maybe it was partly because they weren’t MKs (that more people didn't come), but I was saddened those first two days by the lack of school spirit here (not just from grad but from stuff I talked about w/ my bro & mom too). I’m so glad my high school was better & had great teachers who got involved with us – I would’ve hated it like this!! I went to the last chapel too - awards chapel, where Mike got a bunch of stuff. This is a couple of HS girls looking at their yearbooks afterwards.
Anyway, the rest of that week (June 5-12) I helped around the house, watched soccer (World Cup!), read, wrote emails, & got ready for our mission’s Conference that would be starting the next week (June 13-17). It’s a time when all the missionaries from the various fields get together at a hotel on the beach (hard life, I know…) to have business meetings, devotionals, fun, etc.
I was in charge of choosing music & putting together a team for 4 of 8 sessions there. This was actually a new experience for me, bigger than what I had done in high school and more than I had done in college – there I just played piano, I didn’t have to lead the group! Anyway, so that was a challenge but it ended up going well – I found people to sing & play with me, we practiced before & at the Conference, and I think people enjoyed it.

It was great to see so many people again, and to meet or see lots of new people that I had only heard about but not met yet. I also hung out with the youth during that week, instead of going to the adults’ meetings, so that was fun. All these kids were like in junior high or littler when I left – and now high schoolers! Craaaazy. It was cool though, getting to know them better (since before they were really little & I obviously wasn’t friends with them! ;)), helping with snacks, leading a discussion group, playing games….
I’m discovering that I really like working with kids and being a friend to youth. I was so blessed as an MK to have many godly people around me, and now I enjoy being a big sister to these high schoolers, to have fun with them, encourage them, share with them, and hopefully be a help to them in some way. It’s funny when I think how many “little” friends I have! :D 
The week after Conference I pretty much didn’t do anything, because I was SICK! I had started getting a sore throat right before it, but thankfully God held it off till the last day, when I didn’t have to sing anymore. So right after getting back I was hoarse for about 3 days, and after that I had a bad cough for several days. Good grief. I hadn’t had such a cough in a long time, and it was NOT fun. So I spent those days reading, blogging, emailing, and watching TV. At least it wasn't like a flu sick... I guess....


3 comments:
I'm glad you are feeling better. Sounds like you are having lots and lots of fun. I totally understand about the school spirit thing. It makes me wonder if a lot of the younger people (younger than us anyways) think to much about themselves and not about supporting others in something that is important to them. When do you fly back to the Hills? I hope the rest of your stay goes really great. Enjoy, HT.
esther!! hello!!
ahhhh, i miss you too. i would LOVE a brazil sticker! when do you get back to this fantastic place?
claire
thanks for posting. moko is tall, yes. and the girl in the front of the last pic...whats her name again?
Post a Comment