Sunday, March 25, 2007

busy month!

I've been wanting to post for a couple of weeks but have been really busy with work and all my extra teaching and accompanying. Some highlights:

Mar. 4 - A Mu Kappa supper at an East Indian girl's house. It was fun and I learned alot about her and Indian culture, especially arranged marriages. :) Cool.
Mar. 10 - went into Calgary to see the Canadian Chamber Choir perform with Calgary's Spiritus choir. It was great to hear superb choral music. I'd missed the CCC when they were in town here, so was happy to hear some of what they'd done here plus Rachmaninoff's Vespers - very long but excellent words (too bad they were in Russian!).
Mar. 11 - A Brazilian supper with the Brazilians in town - met one new person and otherwise hung out mostly with people I kinda know (not the same group as usual, so it was different).
Mar. 17 - went to Strathmore to see a musical called "Into the Woods," where my former piano teacher was accompanying (very difficult music!). It was a story that incorporated several different fairy tales - Little Red Riding Hood (& the wolf & grandma), Cinderella (her family & prince too), Rapunzel & her prince, Jack & the beanstalk (& his mom & cow), the giant, the witch, the baker & his wife, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. It was pretty good, though we agreed it could've stopped at the first act; the second was dumb and ended up being a really postmodern "you decide what's right" kind of ending. :((

Sunday the 18th I practiced/played more than I've ever practiced piano (at one time) in my life ... SIX HOURS! I practiced with my 3 recitalists for 3 hours, practiced their music on my own for 2 hours, and then did 1 hour of voice practice. Monday was their juries (where they get graded & told if everything's ready to go for their recital), so that was another 4 hours of work. Man. My elbow hurt a bit after all that!

I thought this past week would be less busy because I wasn't practicing with any of them (a mutual desire for a break!), but twas not to be. I still had lots of extra practicing and playing to do.

Monday and Tuesday (26-27) I'm singing in the music festival in Drumheller. I'm a bit nervous because I've performed (singing) only about twice, so it'll be a pretty new experience - much different than piano. I sing 2 songs Mon. morning and 1 on Tues. morning. Please pray for me if you remember, that I'll be calm so that I can sing confidently, breathe properly, and remember all my words and musical details. (For those who care, I'm doing a spiritual arranged by Moses Hogan, a French song by Fauré, and an Italian aria. I love singing in other languages, so fun. :))

So by the looks of things, I've had a pretty musical month! Friday night was a friend's piano recital but of course I had to work. I did try to take a client but we left after the first song because she was being loud & embarrassing & wrecking it for everyone else (not to mention the video)!! Grrr.

I'm glad for the weekend to relax and hang out with friends. :)

No comments: