Saturday night I came home from practicing to do laundry, make supper, and study for a course at my job. However, I found out that 2 Brazilian friends had come into town for a bit and ended up going out for supper with them. We made it a memorable night for those in the restaurant, and especially for our server.... First of all, the one guy talks pretty loudly for these enclosed spaces, and most likely drowns out those at tables near him. Add to this the fact that it was in Portuguese, and we end up with lots of people watching us (hopefully not glaring)! Secondly, after we got our drinks and were waiting for the food, the same guy accidentally knocked his iced tea over. I was across the table from him and saw the liquid coming my way. I shoved my chair back really quick and thankfully it missed me, going mostly on the floor. Thanks, quick reflexes! :) The poor server had to run and get us a bunch of paper towel! I found it quite hilarious, though I wouldn't have if it had actually soaked my lap. (My friend was duly apologetic.)
At the end of the meal we stayed and talked for quite a while, and I think the girls were getting impatient for us to leave (though they didn't need our table for anyone). Finally she came and got the money off the table (at that restaurant you're supposed to go pay at the till when you leave), and then came back - "Um, I don't understand...." There wasn't enough money on the tray! Ahahahahaha. Kind of awkward, but mostly funny. She didn't care too much and they added some money to cover the bill. After that she came back with the "change" which was supposed to be her tip. Weird. I guess she thought we'd leave that on the table. Oh the awkwardness of not knowing a certain restaurant's protocol.
Just before we left the boys wanted to give our server a Brazilian coin as well - apparently they do this when they eat out. So they gave it to her and that started a bit of discussion of where we were from, if we knew other Brazilians in town that she knew, etc.
And the best part is that when I got home it hit me that our server was the sister of one of my friends! I didn't realize it there but should've due to family resemblance, her voice, the Brazilian family she mentioned, her sister worked there too, etc. Now I have to tell my friend to ask her sister about her memorable night! Although then she'll remember me the next time I go there. Hmmm.....
*edit* For those of you who may know or be related to these people, try to guess who the 2 guys were! :)
Monday, October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Esther, how's it going. I love that you subscribed to my xanga! good way to keep in touch!
Hi Eshterrr!
To begin with, I want to tell you that I do not mock your accent; I LOVE IT. Much better than carioca...
And I'm relieved that I missed you with the tea.
Hope you enjoyed the time with us...
And let's make things clear: I put the wrong ammount of money just to see if the waitress knew hou to count... I wasn't being disonest!
Te mais!
Filipe
Post a Comment