Monday, November 20, 2006

international friends

So, it seems like every time I write about something fun that I've done it's Brazil-related. I guess that's what happens when you work nights and can really only do stuff on the weekends! Last weekend I went to Calgary again, for Saturday afternoon through Sunday evening. Saturday was November 11, so for the occasion we went and watched "Flags of our Fathers," a war movie that told the true story (at least supposedly) of a famous photo from that time that was used as propaganda. It was interesting. We were a bit too close to the screen so had to lean back most of the time - the theatre was tiny and we got there kinda late. :(

On Sunday the sermon was once again very good, on Cain & Abel. For lunch we had another Brazilian party as the family that was there last week came again for lunch, a few other relatives who weren't there before came too. It was fun - rice, beans, farinha, delicious ham, and even some guarana! :) In the evening, after some shopping, my chauffeur ;) and I went to the house of the family that'd been with us at lunch. It was funny to leave them at the aunt's house, go shopping, and then meet up with them again at their house. We had pizza and talked (or listened ;)) lots. Fun times - we got back way later than we'd planned to though. I'm so blessed to have these Brazilians around, and to be able to use my Portuguese pretty much daily - either speaking it, or reading or writing emails in it. It keeps me learning. :)

On Friday two of the Calgary boys were out here on business, so we went out for lunch and talked more. It was nice. This weekend I finally stayed here, and it was very nice to just be at home and able to practice, organize my room, and get things done that I hadn't been able to during the week! Saturday evening we had a bunch of people over for a prayer meeting for a situation involving my roommates (& me a tiny bit), which I thought was an awesome idea. It was an encouragement and blessing, and fun to see people from school. Later that night 3 freshman boys were over too, so I got to meet them. They were hilarious. (Thursday night I was able to go to the futsal game too, as one of my clients wanted to go, so that was fun! I'm such a loyal fan - I went to the Calgary game, and went to the one here even though I was working! ;) There was even a little "class of 06" reunion there - about 7 of us grads! I find it so funny that so many of my class are still around.)

Sunday morning I helped out in the nursery for the first time, and it was pretty slow some of the time - 2 people to watch only 2 or 3 kids. I got to leave for the last 20 minutes of each service time though as I was being officially accepted as a member yesterday! Yay. That was special - I've never been a member of a church before.

In the evening I was able to finally go to a supper for MKs and international students at my boss' house. :) I hadn't gone to any yet so was happy for it to work out. It was just what I was needing that day - to get away from my house, see good friends, have good conversations, and meet some new ones. We had Indian cuisine, but it was waaaaay hotter than last year! I'm pretty sure it was the hottest stuff I've ever eaten. I like spicy, but only to a point! As I said to my friend, "Why do we put ourselves through this?" It sure cleaned out my sinuses, lol! The poor Japanese kids took hardly any of the hot stuff and even then could barely eat it. That's why Brazilian food is so great - seasoned well but not HOT!

Oh, and the conversation around the table at one point was about worms and deworming (especially in tropical countries). It made me laugh so much... "You know you're in an international crowd when...!" Where else would you ever have a conversation like that?! No one talks about that kind of thing! We talked about cod liver oil, weird foods we've eaten or refused to try, etc. It made my day. :D

Ok, so that's the 2-week update on my life. I wanted to write something other than a repeat of last time's "Brazilian weekend," so this weekend was filled with new and different people! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ola Eshterrr!
Congratulations for becoming a member of your church!
Hope to see you soon again!
Filipe