Thursday, May 25, 2006

here goes my first blog post...

For those who don't know, I'm in BRASIL right now... an exciting thing after 4 years away! :D I left Calgary May 16 and got to Sao Paulo the next night. I spent almost 5 days with a Brazilian friend I know from Belem, and we visited quite a few places. The city had been in quite the uproar earlier in the week, with the PCC gang rioting in various prisons and those outside attacking police officers and stations. Quite a few people were killed. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but everything had calmed down by the time I got there, and we were fine. Besides spending time in SP, we also went to Atibaia, where I got to see the PV (Word of Life) school campus, and Poa, another suburb where my friend goes to church. It was lots of fun. :) I saw the inside of a LOT of buses, subways, and trains... most of them quite crowded!

I left SP on Monday the 22nd, and flew to Cuiaba - just over 2 hours. I'm visiting with young/new missionary friends from Canada. It's been great to be able to eat Brazilian food again - pao de queijo, pamonha, vitaminas, doce de leite, carecas, cafe com leite, goiabada, espetinhos, pasteis, etc.! So wonderful. On Wednesday we went to Chapada dos Guimaraes, to the Ammi Training Center where they'll be working after language school is done. I got to see the students and the school, and we went to a nearby beautiful waterfall (Veu de Noiva) and later to the Mirante where you can see over the plains, cliffs, and hills to Cuiaba (an hour away). HOWEVER, it was super foggy so that didn't happen. We just saw a bit of it. Sadness.

Friday I fly to Brasilia, the capital, to visit two girls I know from high school. I'm excited to spend 6 days touring around and catching up with them. :)

2 comments:

Andrew and Aimée said...

I'm so glad you complimented us with youth! ;-) We really enjoyed having you here. Thanks again for taking the time to visit us.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your pictures and stories. Glad you're getting to do and see all this! You cause me saudades! God Bless, Dotty Guedes